Dr BEN DAVIES
BA (York), MSc (Edinburgh), PhD (Cantab)
Ben spent two years as an environmental journalist before taking his Masters degree. Subsequently he worked as a Research Assistant in the Scottish Agricultural College, Edinburgh, and then as the Booker Research Fellow at the Agricultural Economics Unit, University of Exeter, before studying for his PhD. Before joining the department in 2007, he spent 4 years as a Researcher in the Socio-Economics Research Group of the Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, Aberdeen.
Ben’s interests are in the relationships between individual decision making, institutions, and theories of governance related particularly to environmental issues. Past research has included work on multi-criteria analysis, environmental valuation, industrial organisation, and agri-environmental policy design, and more broadly addressed theories of human agency and social organisation.
PhD Supervision Interests
Environment-agriculture interactions; environmental policy design; environmental management.
Contributions to Journals
- Davies, B. & Hodge, I. (2012). 'Shifting environmental perspectives in agriculture: Repeated Q analysis and the stability of preference structures'. Ecological Economics, vol 83, pp. 51-57.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2012.08.013
- Davies, B. & Hodge, ID. (2007). 'Exploring environmental perspectives in lowland agriculture: A Q methodology study in East Anglia, UK'. Ecological Economics, vol 61, no. 2-3, pp. 323-333.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/J.ECOLECON.2006.03.002
- Davies, B. & Hodge, ID. (2006). 'Farmers' Preferences for New Environmental Policy Instruments: Determining the Acceptability of Cross Compliance for Biodiversity Benefits'. Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol 57, no. 3, pp. 393-414.
[Online] DOI: 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2006.00057.x
- Davies, B., Blackstock, K. & Rauschmayer, F. (2005). ''Recruitment', 'composition', and 'mandate' issues in deliverative processes: should we focus on arguments rather than individuals?'. Environment and Planning C-Government and Policy, vol 23, pp. 599-615.
[Online] DOI: 10.1068/C04112S
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Davies, B. & Gimona, A.; Polhill, G.; (2011). 'Sinks, sustainability and conservation incentives'. in J Liu, V Hull, A Morzillo & J Wiens (eds), Sources, Sinks and Sustainability. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 155-182.
Contributions to Conferences
- Davies, B. (2008). 'An Assessment Of Temporal And Spatial Change In The Environmental Attitudes Of UK Farmers'. Paper presented at 9th Biennial Conference of ISEE, Nairobi, Kenya, 7/08/08 - 11/08/08,.
- Davies, B. (2008). 'Farmers’ environmental perspectives in space and time: a comparative Q-method study using repeat sampling in the UK'. Paper presented at 82nd Conf of Agricultural Economics Society, United Kingdom, 4/04/08 - 6/04/08,.
Books and Reports
- Davies, B., Pita, C., Lusseau, D. & Hunter, CJ. (2010). 'The Value of Tourism Expenditure related to the East of Scotland Bottlenose Dolphin Population: Final Report'. Aberdeen Centre for Environmental Sustainability.